Coaching is premised on the belief that you (and I) are already whole, resourceful, capable and creative

Tuesday 18 November 2014

I choose Humility - tough?! Let's settle for Gratitude !


It came to me that a 'sense of entitlement' can be a tough obstacle in the path of gratitude. For me Gratitude is a surge of humility & pure thankfulness when least expecting an experience. In the same continuumm the 'sense of entitlement' has an obvious expectation attached to it, almost allowing us to be arrogant, frustrated, rude or angry, if the expected fails us. 

Have you sampled yourself during a flight delay or a traffic jam? 


This sense of entitlement is an inhibitor for both gratitude and humility. It has the potential to frame our self perception and prevent us from being who we truly can be. It's manifested in how easily we allow frustration take centre-stage in our journey towards a life goal , many-a-time derailing the process altogether. 


The reality is that a journey is as much about the incremental miles as about the destination. And instead of feeling GRATEFUL for the gains, instead of revelling in the moments that constitute it, we allow disillusionment in! 


So shall we try shake off this Entitlement that we house so proudly in us? Can we be aware and present when it rears it's ugly head? 


Self awareness & mindful practices can be very effective enablers of gratitude & fulfilment. 
  • What am I feeling ?
  • Why am I feeling this ?
  • Where is this coming from ?
  • Who promised me that outcome that I think I deserve ?
  • How is this perspective serving me?
Some powerful Qs directed at our own selves can help to distance from that 'dissatisfied-unhappy' self. 

This could be a start, don't you think?! 


No comments:

Post a Comment